Monday, May 25, 2009

A fella's birthday

Last weekend was Steve's birthday. I made a cake very much like the one I made last year, per his request, complete with the same great cake decorations from Bake it Pretty.



I also gave him the most adorable card that you can see here. I think I found it on Etsy, unused. I just love it.

His choice for whatever dinner he wanted was dinner at home of warm German Potato Salad & Tofurky Kielbasa Sausages. We also had brussels sprouts and rolls.

Have you had real warm German Potato Salad? I never had before Steve introduced it to me. Usually it is served with bacon crumbled in it, but since I am a pescatarian, I passed that up. But, I have found this vegetarian Bacon Salt at the local German Store and it is very good. I recommend it. (Wow, I just found out, when looking for that link that this stuff is made in Portland and can be found all over. They have lots of options, too. Neat.)

Anyway, I have tried a few different German Potato Salad recipes for the crock-pot and have made some tweaks to it. Now, I am pretty happy with my recipe. German Potato salad is vegan (if you don't add the bacon, of course) and is basically just potatoes and vinegar. It is much better than it sounds or looks. It is a great thing to make when you have lots of potatoes.

I am sure it can be made without a crock pot, but I have only made it this way.

Here is my version of Crock Pot Warm German Potato Salad:

5 to 6 cups sliced potatoes, about 1.5 to 2 pounds
3/4 cups chopped onions
1/2 cup sliced celery (optional, you could take the onions down a 1/4 cup if you do the celery)
1/2 cup vinegar ( apple cider vinegar is good. I also use a german one with herbs in it, but any would work)
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon sugar (use more if you like more sweetness)
Chopped parsely (optional. I seldom have any, so I don't use it)
Slice bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)

Combine all ingredients except parsley and bacon

Add salt and pepper to taste

Stir and cook on low for 5 - 7 hours in crockpot (sometimes I do it for 3 hours on high)
Garnish with bacon and parsely.

No comments:

Sharing is Caring